Youth with No Job Experience

Author: Kerri Barnes
Created On: 06/19/2017 06:51 PM

Hi- We are curious how folks are integrating the academic/educational component of paid WEX's for youth who have no job experience and this is their first exposure to the world of work. They are unsure of what sector to get trained in.

Many thanks!

Kerri/City of Phoenix

Comments

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 results
Author: Maisha Meminger
Created On: 06/21/2017 03:49 PM

Hello @Kerri-- We have some great resources on paid & unpaid work experiences which may spark some ideas cool

https://youth.cms.workforcegps.org/resources/2017/01/19/14/27/Paid-and-Unpaid-Work-Experience  

I also look forward to learning from others on how they may have integrated education into a young person's WEX, especially as those who have no prior job experience.  

Created On: 06/21/2017 05:54 PM

Thank you Maisha!!  

Author: Renee Browne
Created On: 06/27/2017 03:20 PM

Kerri, Thanks for your post in which you indicate that youth are unsure about in what sectors to train in connection with their work experiences.

Labor market information can be used to help youth make informed choices for career planning and preparation. There are numerous tools that exist to provide labor market and career information to youth. Here are a few of the U.S. Department of Labor’s resources and tools that we recommend.

My Next Move is a career exploration tool that provides information on tasks, skills, and salary; education required; and, job outlook for careers. Youth can search for careers by keyword and browse industries to find out about different types of work. There’s also an interest profiler that offers career suggestions based on a person’s interest.

My Next Move also flags occupations in demand as Careers with Bright Outlook. These are the new and emerging occupations that are expected to increase in employment or have more job openings in the next several years. It’s important to pay attention to occupations that will grow rapidly to be prepared for the future. The high demand occupations are forecasted to be in demand in several years as youth complete job trainings and finish post-secondary education. Growth projections for “Bright Outlook” careers are national statistics, so also check out job prospects in your State.

Youth may also want to take a look at credentials required for specific occupations. Attainment of credentials and certifications are key to progressing along a chosen career pathway.

A labor market report, Fastest Growing Occupations, offers an additional feature of filtering occupational lists by education required for entry. The data can also be researched by State. This report and many others like it is found at CareerOneStop, which provides numerous sources on employment.

Last, What's My Next Move? is a career tool designed for high school students to learn how to use labor market information. This guide provides a step-by-step approach to help a young person make education and career decisions.

Hope the youth have good luck with their training!

Let us know if you have questions or would like other information on this topic.

Created On: 06/28/2017 06:34 PM

Thanks Renee!  I actually use all of those resources.

My question was targeted more towards youth with zero work experience and what types of work experiences organizations are placing them in and how they include the academic component. 

Thanks!