Congress enacted the Troops to Teachers (TTT) Program in 1993 to assist eligible current and former members of the armed forces to transition into second careers as teachers, elementary school teachers, secondary school teachers, and career or technical teachers. More information can be found at www.proudtoserveagain.com.
Efforts may encompass projects to address the following goals:
- Attract and increase the number of eligible current and former members of the armed forces participating in the TTT Program;
- Reduce barriers that prevent veterans from meeting teacher certifications requirements for transitioning into teaching careers;
- Implement educational models to award academic credit for prior career experience and/or other relevant military training;
- Provide individualized counseling to assist TTT participants with meeting the educational and certification requirements to transition into a teaching career;
- Support state and local education agencies with hiring motivated, experienced and dedicated eligible members and former members of the armed forces; thereby, increasing the number of veterans employed as teachers;
- Address geographic areas with critical teacher shortages, especially in high-need schools (as defined in subsection (a) of such section 1154), in particular the shortage of science, mathematics, special education, foreign language, or career or technical teachers; and in elementary schools or secondary schools, or as career or technical teachers.